Join Jefferson East, Inc.
JEI's team members are dedicated to community, giving their talents and expertise to support Detroit's neighborhoods and the people who make these places amazing places to live, start a business and experience life along Detroit's amazing riverfront.
Flexible work environment
BCBS PPO Health Care, Dental and Vision
Generous Paid Time Off
Real Estate Development Manager
Application Due: Monday, February 25, 2019
POSITION SNAP SHOT
JEI is looking for a versatile Real Estate Development Manager to join our team and be a part of exciting urban, multi-family affordable and market rate housing, commercial retail, urban design and concept projects. This position requires the ability to apply a diverse set of skills to a wide range of issues. Our work is mission driven, fulfilling, and fun all at the same time, yet fluid enough that you may work on anything from a ground up development to the rehab of a historic Detroit building. You will have the opportunity to impact an entire corridor through real estate development and urban design strategies.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
JEI seeks a highly motivated candidate with a drive for Urban Real Estate Development. This candidate thrives in a fluid environment and takes initiative. You understand real estate, the development process and complex proformas. You have proven project management acumen with strong leadership to keep your work and everyone else on track, and the ability to say no. Most important, you know how to build trusting relationships that lead to collaborations with our partners, including the JEI and EJDevCo team, community members, local business/property owners, city staff, funders and peer organizations. Above all, you love urban spaces and want to be immersed in Detroit’s transformation. The ideal candidate will be motivated to seek solutions, drive results, and deliver on-time projects in an ever changing environment.
ABOUT JEI and EJDevCo
Jefferson East, Inc. (JEI) is a non-profit organization based in Detroit’s east Jefferson corridor. JEI’s mission is to grow Detroit’s east Jefferson corridor and its neighborhoods through facilitative leadership, collaborative partnerships, innovative and impactful programming.
In December 2016, JEI founded its development subsidiary, East Jefferson Development Corporation (EJDevCo) to lead on-going real estate activities along the East Jefferson Corridor. EJDeVo helps support and further JEI’s charitable neighborhood improvement services and activities.
Currently EJDevCo has $6.9MM in real estate currently under construction with an additional $110MM in an ever growing pre-development pipeline. This represents 200 units of mixed income housing and over 50,000 SF of commercial retail space including the historic Vanity Ballroom. You would be a part
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Here is how you will make a difference in this role:
● Manages all facets of project management (budget, schedule, procurement, quality & risk) for individual real estate projects including planning, design, construction, occupancy and closeout.
● Demonstrates capability to read, understand and apply standard to moderately complex documents affecting real estate projects, including but not limited to: agreements/contracts, leases, work letters, project charters, surveys and drawings.
● Oversees the development of the scope of work, project delivery resource requirements, cost estimate & budget, work plan schedule & milestones, quality control, and risk identification.
● Identifies project delivery resources from pre-qualified lists or through individual project qualification process; conducts standard request for proposals; completes bid analysis; recommends resources
● Leads project delivery resources/team providing project guidance and direction to achieve project goals.
● Facilitates project meetings and communicates progress to all stakeholders
● Implements project documentation governance aligned with company and Client requirements. Ensure project data integrity and documentation is accurate, timely and coordinated.
● Tracks progress of each project against goals, objectives, approved budgets, approved timelines and eliminates risks
● Implements change management routines to assess change requests, make recommendations, secure approvals, and issue change orders. Assesses change requests to determine impacts to scope, budget, schedule, quality and risk.
● Demonstrates ability to identify project risks, develop risk mitigation and contingency plans, and implement action plans to reduce or eliminate project risks.
● Other duties as assigned...
● Provide project management leadership on redevelopment activities
● Manage and interface with contractors for architecture, engineering, and construction projects
● Manage documents and data necessary for obtaining pre-development loans and financing, grant reporting requirements, including CDBG façade, HOME funds, and MSHDA grants
MAIN STREET PROJECT PARTNERS
In this position, you will collaborate with the City of Detroit, state agencies, and funders and neighborhood organizations, including:
● City of Detroit planning, economic development, housing and BSEED departments
● Detroit Economic Growth Corporation
● State Agencies: MEDC, MDEQ, and MSHDA
● Philanthropic partners: Enterprise Community Partners, The Kresge Foundation, Erb Family Foundation, Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation, Chase Foundation, and others
● Wayne State University Tech Town
● Neighborhood residents and businesses
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
● Bachelor's degree in a related field required, Master’s degree preferred
● 3 - 5 years real estate & project management experience,
● Understands complex real estate proforma
● Experience with complex urban affordable housing, commercial retail space and workplace projects is highly desired
● Understanding of financial incentives, Brownfield, Tax Increment Financing, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, OPRA, New Market Tax Credits and Historic Tax Credits is highly desired
● Construction Management experience a plus
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
● PMP or other project management certification preferred
SKILLS AND TOOLS
● Understands complex real estate proforma
● Proficient with spreadsheets
● Familiarity with permitting process (experience in Detroit preferred)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
● $60,000-75,000, depending on qualifications
● Benefits including 401k, Healthcare, Vision, Dental, and Long-term disability
● Flexible work environment
● Generous paid time off
● More qualified candidates should still submit for this position as there may be a future opportunity for this position to evolve into a Director of Real Estate Development role with commensurate compensation.
HOW TO APPLY
Provide your resume, cover letter, project experience and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 25th, 2019. Please use the following file naming format when submitting your application: Last Name First Name Resume
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled so it is suggested to submit sooner than the deadline. Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.