Keeping Detroiters in Their Homes
Ms. Finley has lived in her Jefferson-Chalmers home for over 40 years. There was a point, though, at which Mrs. Finley was thinking to move out of her home. She experienced terrible water issues in her basement before she found her way to JEI’s intake center for the Detroit 0% Interest Home Repair Loans Program.
“When it rained hard, I would get backups in my basement,” says Mrs. Finley. “There would be as much as three feet of water. It got me thinking about going somewhere else.”
Today, Mrs. Finley no longer stresses about her basement flooding when it rains. A $25,000 home repair loan has allowed her to make necessary repairs. With the help of local contractors, Mrs. Finely had internal water pipes fixed, as well as rotten, holey pipes outside of her home. These repairs meant she would be free of worrying about water finding a way into her basement during bad storms. Most importantly, it meant her outside porch concrete would no longer break apart.
The home repair loan also allowed Mrs. Finley to address two other key safety issues: the absence of a foundation under her porch and lead paint on the walls. Now lead free and a fresh coat of paint, she is more comfortable in her home after the completion of the repairs.
For Detroit homeowners that seek repair work, Mrs. Finley says the loan program is well worth checking out. “I think it is one of the best programs out there for people to use,” she says. “It has helped me a lot and has allowed me to improve my whole house.”
Programs & Services
JEI’s Housing & Neighborhood Services Team provides housing counseling and support services that link residents to city and state resources designed to build individual wealth.
Home Repair Assistance
JEI is one of the city of Detroit's leading designated Intake Centers. Our team helps homeowners apply for a loan to the City of Detroit's 0% Home Repair Program.
Financial Literacy & Education Services
JEI helps homeowners and renters learn about building and restoring your credit, slashing your debt and managing savings and assets. We offer workshops, personal one-on-one financial counseling sessions, coaching, and training events to help you reach greater financial stability.
Are you ready to learn more? Complete JEI’s Interested Services form for our team to better understand your needs.
Property Tax Assistance & Foreclosure Prevention
Need assistance with your property taxes past due? Our Housing team can help you learn and understanding options when it comes to:
- Property tax payment plans
- Property tax exemptions
- Financial assistance
- Appealing assessments
Mortgage Delinquency & Default Prevention
Mortgages can be tricky–a lot can happen over a 30-year period. If you are facing challenges such as delinquency, being underwater, or are in need of counseling, we can help you navigate your options.
Heat, Housing & Health Resources
A healthy community is a strong community. JEI’s Housing team has partnered with the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health to help meet the needs of vulnerable communities by developing and disseminating resources on climate adaptation and emergency preparedness. JEI is holding focus groups in targeted neighborhoods to understand how older residents and their homes are impacted by increasingly hotter weather.
Home repair loans can be costly, especially in the case where multiple major repairs are necessary. Additionally, often repairs have been deferred and can no longer wait since not making the repairs can impact the health and safety of those in the home.
To help lessen the stress of handling home repairs, the City of Detroit offers eligible Detroit homeowners a ten-year, 0% interest home repair loan, with loan amounts ranging from $5,000 and $25,000. Through this program, individuals are only responsible for paying back what they borrow.
How We Assist Homeowners
JEI assists Detroit homeowners with the loan application intake process, including submission and meeting program requirements such as credit evaluation and debt review. While we cannot guarantee approval, we work diligently to ensure the application process for each applicant is as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Step 1: Complete Application
Complete and print the City of Detroit’s 0% Home Repair Loans Intake application.
If you do not have access to a computer, you may obtain paper applications from our satellite office.
Step 2: Schedule an Intake Appointment with JEI
30 minutes is all you need!
An appointment can be made through one of the following options:
2. Requesting an appointment by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3: Prepare for Your Intake Appointment
Prepare and bring your support documents according to the checklist form on the first page of the intake application. This checklist may be changed and/or amended at any time, as needed, by the City of Detroit.
- Signed Home Repair Loan Intake Application
- Copy of current Driver’s License OR State ID
- Personal I.D. Passport, Birth certificate, Enhanced driver’s license, OR Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization
- Recorded Warranty Deed (available at Wayne County Register of Deeds, 400 Monroe Ave #700, Detroit, MI 48226); Land Contracts are eligible. Please contact our office for information on the documents that need to be provided.
- Proof of Current Homeowner’s Hazard Insurance. (Homeowners who lack insurance may still be eligible. Please contact our office for further information.)
- Proof of Paid Property Taxes (available at Wayne County Register of Deeds 400 Monroe Ave #700, Detroit, MI 48226); Homeowners who have a payment plan are eligible. You must be current and able to provide proof of payment.
- Income Verification Checklist (All household members over 18)
- Proof of Occupancy Current utility bill, insurance certificate, and Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) Affidavit filed with the City of Detroit Assessor’s Office located at 2 Woodward Avenue, Suite 804, Detroit, MI 48226)
- Income documentation Two (2) most recent paystubs, social security/disability documents
- Income Tax Returns with Completed Schedules Two (2) most recent years
- Savings and Checking Account Statements Two (2) most recent
- Authorization to run credit report
- Lead Test Results Only applies to children six (6) years or younger
Step 4: Submit Application Form and Documents
We offer two ways to submit materials to ensure eligible applicants do not miss out on the chance to be considered for the program.
1) Visit JEI’s Jefferson-Chalmers satellite office
By Appointment Only
Visit JEI’s main office in Rivertown
2) Email or Fax your application: email@example.com or 313-769-8627. If you send documentation by email or fax, please follow up to verify the housing team has received your packet.
Visit us at our satelite office
1018 Chalmers, Detroit, MI 48215
Days: Tuesday & Wednesdays
Time: 9:30am. to 4:30pm.
Phone: (313) 744-6128